Ged Haywood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Nathan Torkington wrote:
>
> > Joe Schaefer writes:
> > > A causal reading seems to suggest that most mod_perl-based
> > > templating systems do exactly what this patent will cover:
> >
> > "the tool generates the customized Web site without the web site
> > creator writing any HTML or other programming code."
>
> An only slightly less casual reading indicates that anyone who writes
>
> use strict;
>
> or

> isn't at risk of violating this patent.

s/write/must write/ and I'd agree with you.  However, like the
one-click patent, it appears to stake a dubious claim that makes
me worry about content management systems that are too "user
friendly", or perhaps just not HTML-centric.  From

DESCRIPTION OF THE PREFERRED EMBODIMENTS

..."The tool facilitates the creation of a customized Web site
without requiring a Web site creator to write or edit HTML code."...

IANAL, and I'm not trying to be overly alarmist, but the
listed embodiments in that section are to me quite sweeping
(apparently covering dynamic, offline, and mixed content
generation tools).  The functionality described there seemingly
existed in commercial products like MS Frontpage 97, and still
the patent was granted.

I also don't know how XML fits into all this ( is it legally
considered HTML, a programming language, or a data format ?),
so I'll shut up now.  I just thought people here should be
aware of the issue so perhaps the right people can do something
about it (if need be).

--
Joe Schaefer