> Accessing the protected site blows up because the Apache object
> referent is undef (see below for examples). No doubt I've screwed
> up some part of the httpd.conf but cannot figure out what at this
> point...

Without knowing anything much about the AuthCookie module, I would guess
your problem has to do with confusing method handlers and regular
handlers.  if you prototype your handler with ($$) it expects to be
called as a method handler and receive a class name in addition to the
request object.  See the documentation on method handlers in the
mod_perl POD for more, or check the Eagle book.
- Perrin