> Just to let anyone who was wondering (and for the benefit of the
archives),
> I ended up ditching sessions all together.  Instead, I'm using
> Apache::AuthDBI to do authentication, and am making calls directly to
my
> database server to maintain state.  Its not the most pleasant way of
> maintaining state, but at least it works.

Then this won't be much help to you anymore, but here are a couple of
things that could have been happening:
- Not getting the cookies sent from all frames.  You may have a race
condition involving when the cookie gets storeed and when other frames
send their requests.
- Not using the locking API correctly.  You didn't post any code, but
the locking options for Apache::Session sometimes trip people up and you
may have had a misconfiguration of some kind.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with writing directly to the database.
Apache::Session is just a convenient hash interface on top of that.

- Perrin