> All that makes it really easy for someone new to feel comfortable.

And isn't that what the mod_perl site should do?

> It would be nice to see license info, too, as someone new
> might want to be
> clear on that right away, too.

> You can also quickly see a list of supported modules.  This
> shows that it's
> easy to extend, but also allows someone to see that it can do
> the thing
> *they* might be interested in.  Sure, perl has CPAN, but I
> think it would
> be good to show a list of commonly used modules for mod_perl,
> and what they
> do, in a simple list.  If someone is just learning about
> mod_perl (or php)
> the list doesn't need to be that big, as their needs will be
> reasonably basic.

The list could give the module authors a chance to write a paragraphs
describing what the module does in 50 words or less to new users can get an
idea without have to wade into the CPAN pool.

> <crazy idea>
> Maybe as a community (of programmers not designers) we could hire a
> professional designer to help develop our "brand".  Cool web
> site.  Some
> print ads in the trades.  What's a small amount in dues to
> the Association
> of Mod_perl Programmers compared to increase of mod_perl work overall?
> </crazy idea>

I'm all for this. I use mod_perl on a daily basis, but either due to lack of
time or lack of knowledge or other reasons I don't get to give back to the
community as much as I would like. This is a way for me and others in a
situation similar to mine to give back to mod_perl.