At 08:49 AM 12/24/2001 -0000, Chris Thompson wrote:
>I would like to set up a password-protected area within my website where my
>web design clients can preview changes to their sites before they go live.
>Although I know how to password protect directories using .htaccess files, I
>would prefer to bypass the standard grey Authorization pop-up screen and
>instead let users enter their username / password details through an HTML
>form (which I think would look more professional).

Take a look at Apache::AuthCookie.

>If possible, the system for authenticating / authorizing the user would also
>redirect them to the appropriate directory for their site.

You can do that, or you can just have them go directly to their area, and
have the authentication system intercept the request.  This is what
Apache::AuthCookie does.  You might also look at Apache::AuthCookieURL if
there's a chance that your users might not have cookies enabled.

Bill Moseley
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]