On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 02:12:47PM -0600, Steven Lembark wrote:

> W/ current apache and mod_perl, perl-5.6.1, Solaris-2.8.
> Been having problems with DBI dropping connections. One
> suggestion was to override the default of "no" and use
> the malloc that comes with perl-5.6.1.

> Anyone know of problems or any obvious symptoms?

I have not seen any problems with the Solaris malloc, in fact it seems
that the VM behavior of our systems improved when we switched over.

Consider setting the DBI_TRACE environment variable if you're having
problems such as this.  It will show you where your connections are
going up and down.  Does your DBD driver support pings?  If not you
should check out the Apache::DBI docs for info on how to roll your
own..

If you feel like recompiling perl on solaris you might want to review
the following options used to build perl with gcc 2.95.3.  Seems to
work well for us...

CFLAGS='-pipe -mcpu=ultrasparc -mtune=ultrasparc -m32 -Wa,-xarch=v8plusa -O3
-ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations'

Configure -O -Dcc=gcc \
       -Doptimize="@CFLAGS@" \
       -Dlocincpth="@prefix@/include" \
       -Dloclibpth="@prefix@/lib" \
       [EMAIL PROTECTED] \
       [EMAIL PROTECTED] \
       -Ud_bincompat5005 \
       -Ubincompat5005 \
       -Uusemymalloc \
       -Uinstallusrbinperl \
       -Dlibperl=libperl.so \
       -Duseshrplib=true \
       -Dstatic_ext="Data/Dumper Fcntl IO POSIX Socket Sys/Hostname" \
       -Ui_db \
       -Ui_ndbm \
       -Ui_ndbm \
       -des

--
Paul Lindner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]   ||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |   |

    mod_perl Developer's Cookbook   http://www.modperlcookbook.org
         Human Rights Declaration   http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/index.htm