On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:

> I think Netegrity single sing-on system modifies the HTTP server
> (possible with mod_perl) to overload or override its native
> authoentication and instead contact a Host, Database or LDAP to get
> the yes or no along with expiration data.... it then sends its finding
> to the CGI by sending additonal HTTP Header info. A CGI program can
> then go from there...

Something like this.  Basically, it has modules, plugins, or access
instructions, as appropriate, for various web servers, to configure them
to use it.  I know it gives an LDAP interface, and I'm assuming it gives
an LDAPS interface; I'm not sure what others it may present.

> I might not have this 100%, but perhaps we can learn from those
> commercial products.
>
> Someone suggested using LDAP and RDBMS, my question is why both, why
> not just RDBMS.

Why not just LDAP?  As someone working on rolling out a single sign-on
solution with LDAPS, I really want to know...  (We're planning on
getting Netegrity for its distributed administration stuff; at that
time, we'll start using its web server configuration stuff for any new
web servers.  Until that time, we're rolling out LDAPS, and we're not
currently planning on converting systems we roll out in the interm to
Netegrity.)

Incidentally, we're being a bunch of lazy bums, compared to the rest of
y'all.  We're considering single sign-on to mean they only need to keep
track of one userid and password (unless they need to access classified
or otherwise restricted stuff.)  If they go to different sites and have
to log on again, we don't currently care.  (Basically, we have too many
sites created by too many groups.  We'll share the same login between
servers run by the same group, but beyond that, security concerns
outweigh user convinience.)

Ed