Hi,

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on cross-site
scripting attacks, since it seems that many people are not aware of
the risks involved.  Has anyone noticed attacks on their applications?
Do you religiously check all input you get from form-submissions?
What techniques do you use to insure that your application is not
vulnerable?

One technique that I've used is 'Tainting' input data (with
PerlTaintCheck) and using a subclass of the Apache module to insure
that tainted data is html-escaped.

As part of the CPANification of the code in the mod_perl Developer's
cookbook, I present Apache::TaintRequest, a module that helps prevent
cross-site scripting attacks by automatically html-escaping 'tainted'
text sent to a web browser..  Get it at
http://www.modperlcookbook.org/code.html

I'd be interested in hearing how others have dealt with the problem,
suggestions on how this module could be used further are most welcome.

--
Paul Lindner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]   ||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |   |

    mod_perl Developer's Cookbook   http://www.modperlcookbook.org
         Human Rights Declaration   http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/index.htm