> When the cookie is recovered, I simply decode, uncompress, thaw, check
> the digest, and thaw the inner object.

It's really a good idea to do this even when the cookie is nothing but a
session ID.  A standard module for this like the one Jay mentioned would
definitely be nice.

> My strategy for document generation is to build a DOM tree and then
> create the output by serializing the DOM to XML or HTML.  So, it is
> natural in this application to just set everything up before sending the
> response.

Since I usually structure my applications to do all the work and then pass
some data to a template, they also follow this order.  The main problem I
see with sending some HTML before the work is complete is that if something
goes wrong later on you have no way to send a nice error page out.  I
sometimes see people having this problem on sites I visit: I get an OK
response and some HTML and then a second set of headers with an error code
and it looks like garbage in a browser.

- Perrin