I just wanna add something to this, since I've been fighting with this problem for
quite some time recently :)

After updating my FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE I got installed perl 5.6.0 on top of my 5.00503
and it was all dandy... until I updated a CPAN module which wanted to install 5.6.1 on
top again.

That left me with a system with 3 perls but only two of them known to the system
(since 5.6.1 was installed by CPAN and that did not update the system as the system
expected I guess). And just to make everything perfect 6.5.1 was the one perl install
my system "didn't know about" but it was the active one in form of the one being
linked in /usr/bin/perl (from /usr/local/bin/perl[5.6.1]).

These preconditions made all of my following efforts to compile mod_perl very
unsuccessful...

It turns out that when CPAN updates perl for you, it DOES NOT update your
/etc/make.conf file. I simply corrected two lines inthere:

PERL_VER=5.6.1
PERL_VERSION=5.6.1

And then I could recompile everything w/o any errors whatsoever... now that felt good
after battling for 12++ hours or something like that. Mind you I rarely edit my
make.conf since it's essentially working with everything here!

Maybe this is more a cry out to CPAN to put a note after it installs perl for you...
to say "Now go edit your make.conf to reflect the installed versions". FreeBSD have
scripts like "use.perl system" and "use.perl port" but CPAN does not seem to either
use or respect that. Maybe it's just me, but I think there's a leak here.

Best regards

// Nicolai