Using the POST2GET snippet was interferring.  I thought I had turned it off
when trying Lergon's suggestion.  I must not have.
As for the actual code. . .I copied it exactly as Lergon's and it works.  I
know what was different, but I swear that what I had was taken verbatim from
mod_perl documentation.

Just for academic purposes.

I had something like

sub handler{
        use Apache::Constants qw(:common);
        my $r = Apache->request(shift);
        &main($r);
        return OK;
}
sub main{
        my $r = shift;
        my $q = Apache::Request->new(shift, DISABLE_UPLOADS => 0, POST_MAX
=> 204800);
        blah blah blah
}

Per Lergon's code I just simplified it to
sub handler{
        use Apache::Constants qw(:common);
        my $q = Apache::Request->new(shift, DISABLE_UPLOADS => 0, POST_MAX
=> 204800);
        &main($q);
        return OK;
}
sub main{
        my $q = shift;
        blah blah blah
}
To boot, I was using the POST2GET module found at
<http://perl.apache.org/guide/snippets.html#Reusing_Data_from_POST_request>
Once I got rid of POST2GET and simplified the script ala Lergon's code
things started to work.  Sigh.

However, I followed code snippets from
<http://perl.apache.org/guide/porting.html#Converting_into_Perl_Content_Han>
I guess I either did not read things carefully, or I am missing something.
:(  I would imagine I had about 3 solutions going at once -- that is to say
that if any one of them were implemented alone things might have worked.  In
conjunction with each other they fumbled each other up.

Oh well.

I do appreciate everyone's time.  Hopefully the above information might
prove useful to other people in similar situation.

Cheers,
Ward