Jim> Basically, mod_perl can run scripts in the same manner as any other
Jim> unix program.

Maybe we're getting hung up on details, but "mod_perl" is not a "unix
program".  It's a module for Apache.  Therefore, "in the same manner"
is no longer applicable.

mod_cgi forks to run processes.

mod_perl doesn't fork.

mod_perl can run Perl code via the embedded Perl interpreter, and this
interpreter can cause a fork.  But mod_perl doesn't inherently fork at
all.

And the distinction is important, especially in the context of
this discussion (setuid with "mod_perl").