On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Hans Juergen von Lengerke wrote:

> We are currently using squid set up as a reverse proxy to accelerate
> several heavy backends (mod_perl, etc) and to protect them from slow
> client connections.
>
> I am looking into replacing the squid with apache+mod_proxy. Why?
> Because ultimately I'd like to be able to cluster the frontend using
> mod_backhand + wackamole. The primary reason for clustering isn't for
> load-balancing (yet) but for failover handling. So, ideally, one machine
> should be enough to serve the whole server load.
>
> Speaking of load, the squid (2.3.STABLE1) is currently doing up to 80
> requests per second at a cache hit ratio of around 72%. This is on one
> box, a Dual 500MHz Pentium III with 1GB RAM. Average object size is 6KB.
> 200/304 ratio is around 5/3.
>
> Now, I've tried to replace the squid with apache+mod_proxy (1.3.11) and
> the frontend very quickly came to a standstill. I set MaxClients to 256
> but all slots filled up fast. I upped MaxClients to 512 (recompiled with
> patched httpd.h) but the result was the same. All slots were occupied in
> no time and the server ground to a halt.
>
> Now I'm left with two choices: give up or try harder :-)
>
> Before I decide for one of them I thought I'd ask on the lists (sorry
> for the x-post) to see if the above numbers (80 Hits/Second) are in fact
> feasible with apache/mod_proxy on one box. Are there any benchmarks
> around? Does someone have a similar setup and how many requests can they
> serve?  Should I up MaxClients any further? Will I get better results
> using a newer version of apache? Or should I give up and stick with
> squid?

Apache can easy handle 80r/s on Ethernet or localhost connection.
But if connections are slow (i.e. modem users) and responses
are big enough then you can reach MaxClients. As far as I know
80r/s rate requires about 400-600 Apache with 20-40K responses.
If your responses are bigger then more Apaches you need.

You can increase MaxClients until your swap is free.
On 1G you can run about 1000-2000 plain Apaches.

But if you plan to use mod_proxy to proxy backend I think
you should use mod_accel.

Igor Sysoev