> We have a mod_perl server that's under constant heavy load.  In
> our Apache
> config we have switched HostnameLookups off using
>
> HostnameLookups off
>
> and for the most part, it seems to work.  However, any check of
> the logs or
> /server-status shows that the server is *still* doing
> reverse-lookup of some
> addresses.  Often, a number of apache processes show up as "D" in
> /server-status, and it's pretty clear that it's slowing things down.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?  Could it
> be something
> in the mod_perl config?  Nowhere in any of our code do we do hostname
> resolution and for the most part couldn't care less what host/ip
> people come
> from.
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong list but I have a sneaking suspicion there's
> something about our mod_perl config that's affecting it.
>
> RTFM's are welcome...  I already tried but maybe I missed something.

This one bit me a couple of years ago.  *IN MY CASE* it was incorrect usage
of the Allow/Deny, I specified
Allow from all
Deny from none

The problem was, the webserver doesn't recognize "none" as a special value
like it does for "all"... so "none" became a hostname,

*** which enabled HostNameLookups for the whole webserver. ***

Look in every single place where you have access control by ip/hostname.
Make sure there are no hostnames, only ip.  Once Apache turns on
HostnameLookups, it's global.

HTH!

L8r,
Rob