Ged Haywood wrote:
> Hi Stas,
>
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>John Siracusa wrote:
>>
>>>downside (see attached screenshot).
>>
>>the idea was to make certain messages more outstanding
>

> Then print only the messages you want people to see.  In my view there
> is far too much output from a typical build and install (of anything:).
>
> Compilations should be SILENT unless something goes wrong.

The build process takes time, if you don't give an indication
of what's going on users will try to do funky things. Since the
build process is comprised of many small sub-processes you cannot
really use something like completion bar.

Also remember that mod_perl build prints very little,
it's the compilation messages that generated most of the output.
p.s. I don't recall seeing silent build processes at all.