Hi everyone,
   After a gruelling 2 weeks of frustration, I am
finally able to install mod_perl in my environment.
W/ all your help I did it w/ the following Apache
configuration:
       SSL_BASE=../openssl-0.9.6b \
       configure \
        --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
        --enable-module=info \
        --enable-module=status \
        --enable-module=ssl \
        --enable-shared=ssl \
        --enable-module=proxy \
        --enable-shared=proxy \
        --enable-module=so \
        --disable-rule=EXPAT \
        --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
        --enable-module=perl
Naturally, I next have to test it thoroughly.
   To the best of my knowledge I am now running
mod_perl w/ DSO.  This seems to be contraversial.
Some say use it, others say avoid it.  Doesn't DSO
defeat the purpose of mod_perl?  I thought DSO loaded
fresh dynamically each time, and mod_perl remained in
memory.  Or is DSO mod_perl the best of both worlds,
memory thereafter.
   Please advise, and thank you all for your support.

        John Kolvereid