Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 12:30:53AM +0800 Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>mire wrote:
>>
>>>I wish to know 2 things about mod_perl
>>>
>>>1) what happens when you set an alarm for lets say 30 seconds and the
>>>request
>>>finishes in 20 ? Since apache child is very likely still alive is mod_perl
>>>too ?
>>
>>You don't set alarm around the request, do you? You set the alarm for a
>>certain code snippet and you reset it to 0 when it's done before the
>>alarm went off. For runaway process control, see Apache::Watchdog::RunAway
>

> OK, but I am really curious. What really happens if I intentionally set
> the alarm to ring after the request has finished? For example if I want
> something to hapen if apache child is idle for more than 15 minutes.

Though I've never tried doing this, I suppose this will just work,
unless something disables/overrides your alarm sighandler.
SIGALRM is a normal process level SIG after all. Think of a mod_perl
process as a process that doesn't quit but just hangs there in a sort of
while loop, waiting for something to crunch on.