I am using Embperl on an intranet system to perform complex database
searches and display the results.

My problem is that, depending on the parameters given by the user, some
searches can take some time - returning thousands of rows, and there is a
danger that the user will hit the stop button, execute the Back command or
even close the browser session altogether.  If this happens at the wrong
time, an oracle connection could have been made, but no SQL sent to it,
leaving an Oracle process hanging there.

I need to be able to trap these browser events, and I can then call a
cleanup routine to close any database connections.  I can use the
Javascript onUnload event, I can't figure how to commmuncate with the Perl
process.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Martin Harriss
Cambridge UK