Vlad Harchev wrote:

>>> When using the following script under mod_perl, each httpd process crashes on
>>>the 2nd request to execute this script.
>>>------------
>>>#!/usr/bin/perl
>>>use strict; use POSIX qw(locale_h);
>>>setlocale(LC_ALL,'en_US.utf8');
>>>print "Expires: 1 Jan 1970\nContent-Type: text/html\n\nHi";
>>>-------------
>>> This crashes if instead of 'en_US.utf8' one uses any other utf8 locale that
>>>is available in the system. If one uses locale with single-byte encoding (e.g.
>>>'en_US.ascii' or 'ru_RU.koi8r') it doesn't crash httpd. (I didn't try
>>>other multibyte encodings beside utf8).
>>>
>>> If one uses LC_COLLATE instead of LC_ALL, it doesn't crash for any locale (I
>>>didn't try other locale categories).  (The httpd server is started under
>>>locale 'ru_RU.koi8r' - a single-byte locale).
>>>
>>> I'm using mod_perl on RH72 for x86, versions of the relevant software:
>>>perl-5.6.0-17
>>>mod_perl-1.24_01-3
>>>glibc-2.2.4-19.3
>>>apache-1.3.20-16
>>
>>I doubt it's a bug in mod_perl. Setting locale affects the lots of core
>>things, so a simple test may not trigger the problem.
>>
>>BTW, if I remember correctly Perl 5.6.0 is not utf8-safe (or unicode in
>>general), correct me if I'm wrong. Can you try  the same with the latest
>>bleadperl? (skip the 'make test' there is some problem in perl that I'm
>>fixing now). 5.8.0 should be out in a month or so and it should work
>>well with unicode.
>

>  Unfortunately, I don't have time for compiling and installing it..
>  I hope somebody on this list who has already installed version of recent perl
> will test the problem..

Confirmed as working with bleadperl (i.e the latest perl-5.7.3)

Also confirmed as working with the stock 5.6.1 perl on linux.

So I'd suggest to upgrade to 5.6.1 if possible as the safest step,
before 5.8.0 is released.

All tested with Apache/1.3.25-dev (Unix) mod_perl/1.26_01-dev but the
non-cvs version should probably work the same way.