On Friday 19 April 2002 6:55 am, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wasn't there just a thread on throttling a few weeks ago?
>
> I had a machine hit hard yesterday with a spider that ignored robots.txt.

I thought the standard practice these days was to put some URL at an
un-reachable place (by a human), for example using something like <a
href="..."></a>. And then ban that via robots.txt. And then automatically
update your routing tables for any IP addresses that try and visit that URL.

Just a thought, there's probably more to it.

Matt.