Hi Bill,

> Wasn't there just a thread on throttling a few weeks ago?

There have been many.  Here's my answer to one of them:
004101c0f2cc$9d14a540$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/blexblolgang/004101c0f2cc$9d14a540$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Anyway, I remember Randal's Stonehenge::Throttle discussed not too long
> ago.

What we did was take that module, replace the CPU monitoring stuff with
simple hit counting, and make it just return an "Access Denied" when the
limit is  hit.  We also did some slightly fancier stuff than just
blocking by IP, since we were concerned about proxy servers getting
blocked.  You may not need to bother with that though.

One nice thing about Randal's module is that it uses disk (not shared
memory) and worked well across a cluster sharing the directory over NFS.

> Also, does anyone have suggestions for testing once throttling is in place?
>  I don't want to start cutting off the good customers, but I do want to get
> an idea how it acts under load.  ab to the rescue, I suppose.

That will work, as will http_load or httperf.

- Perrin