I spoke too soon.

I need:

<Perl>
   push @Alias, [ qw(/cgi-bin/chimpkit/ $ENV{SERVER_ROOT}/cgi-bin/chimpkit/) ];
</Perl>

This does not appear to be possible because there's no way to pass in SERVER_ROOT to
the apache startup.  I have SERVER_ROOT
getting set in root's .bashrc, but when I execute ./apachectl start it appears to not
pass in any ENV at all, and the server seems
to set only a few....GATEWAY_INTERFACE, MOD_PERL and PATH.  I can't use PerlSetEnv of
course because I'm trying to make a portable
mod_perl.conf in the first place.  I can't use SetEnv in the httpd.conf because that
doesn't get set until the fixup phase.  Is
there any way?

-Fran