Hi List,

New to mod_perl, but have a specific project in mind, that will immerse me in it.

Wondering if someone could comment on both the possibility of, and the wisdom of, pulling server configs dynamically from a database WITHOUT requiring server restart.

Prime example: you've added a new name-based virtual host, and you've stored all of his permissions and stuff in a MySQL database. This host has paid to have PHP turned on in his directories, so you want to do something like
php_admin_flag engine on
for this host only. No problem...restart the server and have mod_perl read the info it needs to reconfigure the server from the database. My question is, is there a way to do this WITHOUT having to restart the server. Would there be too much overhead to read from the database on every request? So would there be a way to 'cache' the lookup? Are there any existing examples I could be directed to?

Tim