Jim Morrison [Mailinglists] wrote:

 > Anyhow...  I was wondering... is there a simple way to set up a sort
 > of "idle timeout" to get each single httpd to restart itself if two
 > conditions are met: - 1 - It has compiled mod_perl - 2 - The mod_perl
 > aliases have not been accessed for 'x' minutes...
 >
 > What do you guys recon... is crontabbing a restart easier.. is it ill
 >  advised?  (Ofcourse the restart runs even when you are using
 > mod_perl.. which doesn't really help anyone.. cos then it has to go
 > through the restart lag.. )
 >

 > Oh well... would love to hear your thoughts,

You can do this only with an external process, since child processes
cannot communicate with each other. Though you have the scoreboard which
is probably what you want.

Look at Apache::Watchdog::RunAway, you can adjust it easily to do what
you want. Though you pay the price of enabling the scoreboard extended
updates on the live system, which adds a slight overhead to each
request's response times.

But using the crontab seems much simpler to me.