Guys,

This is probably a very common question, so I will keep it breif.. perhaps
someone could point me to an appropriate FAQ..

I am writing an app, that requires user authentication..  at the moment, it
is actually only one CGI, and judging by it's size it's unlikely I will need
to split it.. which possibly helps..

I would like to set up authentication, so that people have to log in to use
it..  my usuall method is to use .htaccess, but this is quite a pain, as you
then have to maintain usernames/passwords accross all the different
subdomains etc..

The script resides in a mod_perl alias folder, and access-levels I can deal
with internally, but the actual password protection I am a little unsure
about..

Is it best to:
 - use .htaccess, and use a CGI (if you know of one) that allows managment
of users...
 - use a PerlHandler script to do the auth?
 - some other thing...

The server has an Admin system built in, which uses a perl-handler, and sets
up / manages the server users...(along with everything else)...  I was
thinking of binding into this, but 2 probs.. 1 - the user Groups do not
really reflect the access rights I wish to give out, so I would have to add
another group, which means hacking appart the server admin cgi's... 2 - this
ties it to being used on this particular server..

Anyway... any advice or right-direction-pointing would be great...

Thanks in advance,

Jimbo