On 21 May 2002 at 22:23, Gregory Matthews wrote:

> Here's an odd question for you.  Why is it when I go to places like
> cgi-resources.com and other cgi repositories, mod_perl applications
> are far and few between...commercially that is?
>
> All I see are common cgi scripts written in plain perl.
>
> Does it have anything to do with the configurability tasks involved on
> the customers box, i.e., once the sale is made?
>
> If this is the wrong place for a question like this, I apologize.
> Just curious.

I think it's a good question.  Unlike I reckon most people on this
list, I live in a virtual world.  I started my first programming job
at an ad agency and even the site we did for FedEx went on a virtual
server.  I think the vast majority of people out there are also
running virtual servers.  Only recently did the company we host at
offer mod_perl as an option.

But then to offer an application for the public at large (not just to
mod_perl developers)  to download and install ... well, that's
another beast. Always best to look at those with some expertise.
Extropia for example. I downloaded their ProjectTracker and it was a
cgi installation (and made extremely easy to install). I didn't look
but I bet I could turn it into a handler. I took their experience and
turned my image gallery application into a cgi application. Anyone
who knows can turn the cgi handlers into mod_perl handlers otherwise
it will work in standard cgi environment or under Apache::Registry.
Even so, when helping people (and usually people for whom an ftp gui
is "tech") install cgi applications on virtual servers is rarely
simple.

Even today I cannot run most of the large scale mod_perl applications
as I'm still using virtual servers and most of the mod_perl apps
require a greater degree of control than I have.

PHP on the other hand, it's everywhere. I have a link to a PHP image
gallery on my site that is quite nice. I offer it as an alternative
to my application . It can be installed from the web browser. I have
installed Perl cgi applications where that was been done as well. I
cannot imagine doing that for mod_perl applications though.

In short, mod_perl applications using handlers has a very dedicated
and passionate but limited audience imho.

Peter
-- http://www.readbrazil.com/
Answering Your Questions About Brazil