Burton, Craig wrote:
> If anyone there can give me some pointers to how to access the syntax
> tree for an executing Perl program, _from within that program_, I would
> be very grateful.  I suspect this may not be possible.  The O::Backend
> system seems to require the Perl program execute with overloaded Ops
> (example : Terse) and so the "normal" execution of the code is forfeited.
>
> I have fiddled with Devel::OpProf to get at what internal opcodes have
> executed, but really want to have my perl program somehow obtain the
> same large text dump created by a -MO=Terse printing, as part of my
> program's execution.  I don't want to call Terse over the source .pl
> file either... sorry!

Is something like B::Generate is what you are looking for? e.g. see:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/05/07/optree.html

Simon had an interesting paper in the last OSC's proceeding paper. I
don't know if it's available online. It was called:
   B::Generate + Source Filters = use Python;

In any case you probably want to move this discussion to some other perl
specific list/forum, unless it has something to do with mod_perl.