On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Tom Brown wrote:

> > Right, and does Perl write with buffering when you call print()?  Yes, it
> > does!
>
> huh? That's what $| is all about, and $|++ is a pretty common line of
> code.

A pretty common line of code that wasn't in the example shown!  And that
only unbuffers the currently selected filehandle.  His example showed a
print to a named filehandle, so a simple $|++ isn't even enough.  Your
advice to skip the flock() without explaining any extra steps has a pretty
decent chance of resulting in a corrupt logfile given enough time.

> man(2) open.  see the O_APPEND option... the only footnote is that it
> doesn't work properly via NFS...

Interesting stuff.  But are you sure it works with Perl?  Does it work
with PerlIO, which is the new default IO scheme in 5.8.0?

> p.s. I'm not the only one who considers it impolite to have off-list
> messages taken back onto the list... I generally don't post AFAIK comments
> to lists, prefering to keep the signal to noise ratio higher.

My apologies.  I assumed you omitted the mod_perl address from the CC: by
accident.  I actually think this discussion is still mostly signal.  I
would like to make sure your advice is either correct for the situation
given or taken back publicly to avoid potential harm.  Either outcome
would be fine with me, actually.

-sam