Hi,

>   All this talk of MVC and a universal despatch mechanism has
>started me thinking about Java Web Applications and how they are bundled
>into a standard configuration (e.g., Java's Servlet standard 2.3)
>
>   Would such a standard (albeit optional) be useful for mod_perl2?

I think it would be useful for *Perl*.
The desire for this is part of what drives the P5EE project
(Perl 5 Enterprise Environment) over at

   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/
   http://p5ee.perl.org/

No one gets too excited about this project yet because it is still
experimental/preliminary/finding its way.
However, progress is steady, and new contributors are always welcome.

The P5EE project was a spin-off of the mod_perl list last October
and ended up at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/spayskerdfeld
   http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/quoxveewo

(and August 2001).

   http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/premangdoo/

http://mathforum.org/search/epi_results.html?textsearch=P2EE&ctrlfile=epigon
e/modperl.ctrl&bool_type=and&whole_words=yes

For people on the mod_perl list who don't know about the project,
you may want to familiarize yourself with it.

>   Generally standards run contrary to the TMTOWTDI approach of Perl
>but there are some advantages in a 'minimal' mod_perl web application
>standard:

   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/
   (see Philosophy)

>* ISP's could install mod_perl applications in a uniform/consistent way -
>(e.g., the standard should prevent name space collisions etc.)

   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/
   (see Vision: Pervasive Deployment)

>* A subset of mod_perl methods could be selected as a basis for the
>standard allowing other 'container' servers besides Apache (e.g., like
>http://jetty.mortbay.org - except in Perl not Java)

The abstraction in P5EE that you are speaking about is the Context.

   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/software/htdocs/api/Context-frame.html

The design says that P5EE software can (conceptually) run in a variety of
web "containers" or Contexts.

   P5EE::Context::CGI
   P5EE::Context::FCGI
   P5EE::Context::ModPerl
   P5EE::Context::ModPerlRegistry
   P5EE::Context::PPerl

and even a number of non-web Contexts

   P5EE::Context::Cmd
   P5EE::Context::Daemon
   P5EE::Context::Gtk
   P5EE::Context::POE
   P5EE::Context::SOAP
   P5EE::Context::WxPerl

Of course, I see Modperl as the dominant, high-performance container
for web applications for the P5EE.

>* Software companies (not sure who) could provide
>replication/clustered/load balanced solutions based on this standard

I envision open-source (Perl/CPAN) versions of

   P5EE::Context::ISAPI
   P5EE::Context::NSAPI

to provide "containers" for other proprietary servers.

Replicated Repositories and clustered/load-balanced Contexts
are all part of the open-source vision, not restricted to some
commercial provider.

>* Application configuration/management tools could be used to administer
>mod_perl application(s) on the same server(s)
>
>* We could share 'mod_perl' applications on CPAN more easily/quickly
>
>   Ideally, I'd like to download a single mod_perl archive file
>(e.g., application.mod) place it in a 'standard' application directory and
>then point my browser to the new application.

I share your desire.