Steve Walker wrote:

> I'm setting the following headers with mod_perl and there seems to be a bug
> in the way netscape 4.7 handles them. The page is being auto refreshed by
> Netscape if the "document in cache is compared to document on network"
> preference is set to every time.  I've tried IE and I don't seem to have the
> problem, but haven't had a chance to test on any other platforms.  I've
> tried removing the Expires header, but that didn't make a difference.  I've
> searched the archives and bug databases but nothing has turned up.
>
> Here is an example header:
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:28:59 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) mod_perl/1.26
> Pragma: no-cache
> Cache-Control: no-cache
> Connection: close
> Expires: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:28:59 GMT
>
> I know it might be a bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone else has
> run into this problem?

I'm not really sure what you're asking - are you saying that you
_want_ NS to use its cache?  if so, removing the Pragma and
Cache-Control headers with $r->no_cache(0) should do that (and remove
the Expires header as well, IIRC).

If you _don't want_ netscape to use its cache, it looks like you're
doing the right thing.

There are some methods in Apache::File (like $r->set_last_modified)
that you may want to look at as well in order to help clients make a
more intelligent decision.

HTH

--Geoff