Ian D. Stewart wrote:
> On 2002.06.18 09:57 Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> [CC'ing Andreas again]
>>
>>> Stas is right. The only problem I see with MP_INST_APACHE2 is the
>>> fact that using the CPAN.pm module to download the module would fetch
>>> the newest version of the module, regardless of whether you wanted
>>> the one for mod_perl 2.0 or mod_perl 1.0.
>>

>> That's true :(
>>
>> I hope Andreas can make PAUSE index both versions so CPAN.pm will
>> display the two, but for that we need some sort convention so PAUSE
>> can use to decide on. Andreas, any ideas regarding this issue?
>

> An alternative approach could involve placing the functionality specific
> to mod_perl 2.0 in a sub-module, then conditionally importing that
> submodule depending on the value of $Apache::Registry::VERSION.

This is not the case for the complex modules involving C, XS, custom
directives and lots of code. As a module author I'd rather have a
separate code base without gazillions of #ifdefs and perl side version
checking.

It's very unlikely that you will be able to extract mod_perl 2.0
specific functionality into a sub-module, because most of the Apache::
modules are using the mod_perl 2.0 API everywhere in the code.