--- Cees Hek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would build your application using plain old CGI,
> following the guidlines that
> mod_perl provides for running CGI applications under
> the Apache::Registry
> module.  If you properly analyse your application,
> and build small tight CGI
> scripts, then when the load goes up, you can pick
> and choose the heaviest hit
> scripts and run them under Apache::Registry for the
> performance boost.

Thanks...that sounds reasonable. I doubt that all the
dynamic pieces of this site would really require
mod_perl. To answer another's reply, this will run on
either Linux or BSD.

> Also, if the load goes really high, you can ask for
> more hardware, and run the
> entire site under Apache::Registry without any code
> changes.

Upgrading hardware once the load gets high was
discussed...This would make the migration easier, as I
have told the client that we may start with CGI then
move to mod_perl later. I've never used
Apache::Registry before, but this sounds like a good
solution.

> I would recommend taking a look at CGI::Application.
>  It provides a very clean
> framework for building CGI programs, and by using
> it, you will avoid most if not
> all of the pitfalls that most CGI programs have that
> require them to be recoded,
> or cleaned up for use with Apache::Registry.

I normally use CGI::Application, but in this case I'll
also need something like CGI::Session as well, not to
mention either Template-Toolkit or HTML::Template.

Are there any "gotchas" with CGI::Session and
Apache::Registry? And yes, I'll read The Guide :)

> Good luck...

Thanks for the help!