> This seems a little off topic.  I think this is an architecture question, not
> a mod perl question.

Well, a bit of both I guess.

> Basically, you want all you protected files to be located in /protected or
> some other directory...

No that is not possible. I am running a web application, there are no
such things as 'files' (everything is done using PATH_INFO), only
locations.

Users can create as many locations as they want (i.e. /foo/bar/) and
administrate them using URIs such as /foo/bar/properties.html,
/foo/bar/contents.html, etc.

There are some locations which do not need to be protected, i.e.

/foo/bar/
/foo/bar/print.html
/foo/bar/dc.xml
/foo/bar/rss100.rdf

But some others need to, like:

/foo/bar/properties.html
/foo/bar/contents.html
/foo/bar/move.html
etc.

I want to use HTTP authentication for that, but of course I cannot
password protect the whole site, because public users would not be so
happy!

Any ideas?
--
IT'S TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF WEB