----- Original Message -----
From: "Kaye-Smith Adam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 4:51 AM
Subject: NTLM module

Hello ,

>When I enter in an NT password it all works ok but when I use a
>user/pass from the htpasswd file, the only way it will work is that I
>change the above line to
>
>AuthType Basic                     instead of
>AuthType ntlm,Basic.
>

>With this change I can access passwords in htpasswd & also authenticate
>from an NT server but I can no longer use NTLM.

The problem is that Basic authentication requires a password from the client
which can be compared against your password file. In case of NTLM auth,
there is no password ever send over the wire, so Apache doesn't have
anything which it can compare against it's passwd file.

The solution would be to derive a class from AuthenNTLM and do the
computation of the challage and response based on the secrets in the passwd
file (you would need to store MD4 hashs of your passwords somewhere). There
is a module called Perl::AuthenNTLM which may be helpfull in doing this
task.

Gerald

E-Mail:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Voice:    +49 6133 925131