At 06:24 PM 8/19/02 -0700, Randy J. Ray wrote:
>>Well, my C<use AutoLoader> would be _outside_ any of the loaded modules in
>>the mod_perl startup.pl script after all the modules necessary for proper
>>execution of _your_ mod_perl environment, are loaded.
>I see... you mean to have a line like this:
>    use AutoLoader preload => { module => [qw(suba subb)] };
>be responsible for both including "module" (into the caller's namespace) *and*
>pre-loading the specified routines? That's different that what I had interpreted from
>your first idea. I though that the preload specification would be when the target
>module issues its call to "use AutoLoader".

Actually only the preloading part.  Since by default, the preload routine would look
at %INC, this C<use AutoLoader> should be _after_ any other C<use> commands.

>,,, That's different that what I had interpreted from your first idea. I though that
>the preload specification would be when the target module issues its call to "use
>AutoLoader".

No, I wouldn't want module authors to change their modules...

> From this vantage point, it does make more sense, yes. Especially since module
>authors would no be responsible for retro-fitting to their packages. I would be
>interested to see if this can be done cleanly, without making AutoLoader.pm any
>harder to read than it currently is :-).

Well, that's just a matter of documentation, really...  ;-)

>(OK, that might be asking a bit much...)

Not really, AutoLoader is not a really big module at all...

Liz