Sorry for the late reply - been away for a bit.

Everything I've read as an SA (for Solaris at least - though I would
expect the other *nices to be similar) was to never set a user space
(non O/S) process to less than -15.  Other than that, it's another of
those YMMV, measure before and after, and if it helps great.  Trying to
second guess process schedulers is a tricky business though, and you
really need to intimately know how your system behaves before trying it.

--Jim