Hi Jamie --

> So are you forced to use the version of perl that was chosen when
> mod_perl was installed? Guess so, am trying to do a local
> non-root install of apache and mod_perl to see if this is so.

Yes -- you are bound to use the version of Perl which was compiled into
Apache.  If you want to upgrade Perl it is necessary to re-compile
Apache/mod_perl.

On that note, I have created a mostly-automatic build system to compile
Apache with both mod_perl and mod_ssl.  You can download the Makefile (and
source tarballs, if you need) from here:

    http://www.erlbaum.net/Apache-Perl-SSL/

It's pretty raw, but it works for me.  I can build a consistent
Apache/mod_perl/mod_ssl from source, usually with one command:

    $ make build

This will also allow you to build as a NON-ROOT user.  It was designed to do
so as a primary function.

Let me know if you find this useful!

Warmest regards,

-Jesse-