On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 08:44:39AM -0400, Calbazana, Al wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know if it is possible to use mod_proxy as a sticky session
> manager.  Basically, I'd like to put mod_proxy behind the load balancer and
> allow the proxy servers to talk to the mod_perl servers.  Unfortunately, the
> load balancer does not allow for "sticky" sessions and only bounces the user
> round-robin style.  I am playing with the idea of sending a cookie down to
> the client and using it to stick a user to a particular mod_perl server, but
> I'd like mod_proxy to figure it out which server and send the user to the
> defined machine.  I'd also like to enable a "checking" mechanism to
> determine if a mod_perl server is up before the user is sent to the location
> specified in the cookie.  If the machine that the client is stuck to is
> down, I'd like to reroute.
>
> I know high powered load balancers do this already, but I'd like to explore
> dedicating a few medium sized servers to do as there is surplus of these and
> f5's cost $$$.  I apologize in advance if this is a bit off topic!

Two things come to mind.  First mod_rewrite has plenty of features that
will let you do primitive load balancing.  See

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html

Look at the examples that show how to combine a cookie with the URI and
you can use regexes to control which host is chosen.

Also check out mod_backhand (discussed on this list, check the archives)

  http://www.backhand.org/

--
Paul Lindner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]   ||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |   |

    mod_perl Developer's Cookbook   http://www.modperlcookbook.org/
         Human Rights Declaration   http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/