I do work for a Land Use legal center from time to time.  They have a
project that eventually needs to find it's way onto the web in order to
maximize information sharing.

What I need to find is a system that would allow users to upload word
and/or pdf and/or html files into a library system that would
automatically extract keywords and then file the documents into a
database.  The goal of all this is to avoid having users doing double
work, e.g. creating word docs only to convert, etc., while having a
system that is as user friendly as possible because most of these users
aren't technically savy.

I've been doing searches for mod_perl & non-mod_perl based solutions but
haven't found anything (lot's of content management but no document
management).

TIA