On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Scott Alexander wrote:

> I have two experimental servers frontend and mod_perl.
>
> mod_perl is apache with mod_perl
> frontend is apache lightweight
>
> My config only passes *.pl thru to mod_perl
>
> When a user uploads a file they use a mod_perl script on mod_perl and the
> file is saved on mod_perl.

If you use mod_proxy thne mod_perl would be busy for all upload time.
Although there's patch for mod_proxy to buffer upload in temp file.
mod_accel always buffers client's upload.

> But I want the file to be on frontend as it makes sense for when they
> download the file ... they only need a lightweight apache server to do
> that.
>
> So far I can think of doing
>
> 1. Putting a cgi script on frontend to handle file uploads and save the
> file on frontend.
>
> 2. Use network file share between mod_perl and frontend.

You can send file from mod_perl and cache it on frontend.
If you use mod_accel then it buffers whole reponse from backend
in temp file and releases mod_perl as soon as possible.
You even do not need to cache it.

Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru