I am to provide some custom logging in my mod_perl
application. Omitting some unnecessary details, I need to store some
information after processing each request, putting this info into some
central log (be it file or database) common for all apache processes
and (if possible) common for multiple machines.

I would like to ask for any suggestions/hints/patterns/... but there
are also some specific qustions:

1) Apache somehow gathers notes from multiple processes into single
access.log and error.log. Is it possible to reuse this functionality
somehow for writing my custom information somewhere else? Considering
such functionality is already present I would not like to reimplement
logic protecting from simultaneous write from multiple processess...

2) Looking at the name, seems it is LogHandler where custom logging
should take place. But does it really give real advantage over just
logging on the end of PerlHandler? If so, how should I pass data
between handlers - just stick to some perl global variable or use
pnotes?

3) Are there any tools of 'gather logs from multiple machines to the
central location' you would recommend?

--
( Marcin Kasperski   | Communication takes place between people, documents   )
( http://www.mk.w.pl |                are secondary. (Booch)                 )