Is it possible to protect an entire site, from DocumentRoot, using AuthCookie?

I have tried to configured it today, using my subclass of AuthCookieDBI:

- If I have all of the protected files in <Location> blocks under Document root, all
is fine.

- If I try to protect <Location />, then it appears that /login.pl is protected by
itself and enters a endless loop.

The suggested settings from the AuthCookie docs are :

PerlSetVar WhatEverLoginScript /login.pl
# This is the action of the login.pl script above.
 <Files LOGIN>
  AuthType Sample::AuthCookieHandler
  AuthName WhatEver
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlHandler Sample::AuthCookieHandler->login
 </Files>

Both locations (/login.pl and LOGIN> seem to be under DocumentRoot by default, so I
can't see how to protect DocumentRoot with this authentication scheme.

I am sure I am missing something obvious though....can someone please tell me what it
is? :)

Thanks in advance,

GV