From: Ged Haywood [mailto:ged@;www2.jubileegroup.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 12:24 PM
To: DeAngelo Lampkin
Subject: RE: Problems compiling mod_perl1.27 under IRIX64...

Hi there,

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, DeAngelo Lampkin wrote:

> [snip] the make step ran fine [snip]
> However, the make install step crapped out and I got the following error:
>
> Warning: You do not have permissions to install into
>/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/IP27-irix at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.
> 6.1/IP27-irix/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 85.
> mkdir /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/IP27-irix/auto/Apache: Permission denied
>at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/IP27-irix/Ex
> tUtils/Install.pm line 139
> Indeed, I don't have permissions to write there, which lead me to
> believe that this whole thing was a simple permissions error.

Not unless you're building somewhere strange.  Where did you put the
sources?  I usually use something like this:

/home/ged/src/apache_1.3.27

and

/home/ged/src/mod_perl-1.27

then su root only at the final "make install" step.

> However, when I had the system admin run "perl Makefile.PL ...." as root,

Don't do that.  You should build as an ordinary user.
Have you read through the installation section of the mod_perl Guide?
See the mod_perl home page for a link to the Guide.

73,
Ged.