Thanks all for the suggestions;  I really appreciate the help.
I will tuck BINMODE away for future reference.

Before I got those ideas, while digging around in the mailing
list archives I found a reference to the link function in
Apache::Request that creates a hard symlink to a specified
path from the uploaded temp file, thus:

  my $upload = $apr->upload('file');
  $upload->link("/path/to/newfile") or
      die sprintf "link from '%s' failed: $!", $upload->tempname;

I tried that last night, and it works great.

Makes me a believer in checking the archives.

/dennis

Office phone: 817-762-8304

 "Great leaders never tell people how to do their jobs.
   Great leaders tell people what to do and establish a
         framework within which it must be done.
          Then they let people on the front lines,
       who know best, figure out how to get it done."
            ~ General H. Norman Schwarzkopf