On 16 Nov 2002 13:24:13 +0200
Clinton Gormley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've written a new module as a wrapper around Apache::Session which
> provides short term (ie session) tracking (which is something that
> Apache::SessionManager and Apache::SessionX provide), but this adds long
> term user tracking, and methods to aid login, logout etc.
>

> I would appreciate feedback, not least of all, what it should be
> called!  Apache::SessionManager exists already, and I realise that
> calling this module Apache::Session::Manager will cause confusion, so
> please...

Dear Clinton,
I think that the name you've chosen (Apache::Session::Manager) is wrong :-(
not because it will cause confusion with my Apache::SessionManager module,
but because Apache::Session::* namespace is informally reserved to
Apache::Session sub components like data storage, serializers or ID
generators. Your (and my, of course) session manager module
hasn't any relationships with these.
This name adds only a little bit of confusion on wrong (historically)
Apache::Session namespace - there is a direct tie between Apache::Session
and mod_perl? ;-)

When I started with my little project I've first searched on CPAN and the
most similar module I founded was the AxKit-XSP-Session. Unfortunately this
is a session manager plugin for AxKit and my goal was to develope a module
with no glue with other applications server that the mod_perl itself.
Then I've chosen Apache::SessionManager (I've discarded
Apache::Session::Manager name, of course) but before putting the first line of
code on CPAN, I have sended various RFCs to mod_perl and [EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailing lists, to comp.lang.perl.misc and comp.lang.perl.modules: this is
the standard way to contribute to CPAN.
See ml/news archives for the complete threads [...]

I have done a (very) quick look to your code and I've seen some likeness with
Apache::AuthCookie and/or Apache-AxKit-Plugin-Session.
If you were doing something like this, you could probably start with one of the
Auth* modules, which already do a good job of handling things.
I am also working to add this features not to my module but adding
session management in Apache::AuthCookie!
Moreover, I agree about a possibility of the integration with your additional
features into my Apache::SessionManager.

Regards

        - Enrico