On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 02:32:41PM -0500, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> Nick Challoner wrote:
>
> >>My questions are, is there some IE anomaly or some anomalous way
> >>of configuring or using IE that can cause it to all of a sudden
> >>do a GET instead of a POST (anything short of manually entering
> >>the url)?
> >

> >User bookmarking the page (well, "adding to favourites" considering we're
> >talking about IE) and then returning to it via the bookmark?
>

> It may also no longer send POST data or give the option of no longer
> sending it if you go back to a page resulting from a POST after a
> certain amount of time.
>
> - Perrin

In looking at these replies and going back through the logs
more, I think there are multiple failure mechanisms rather than
a single one.  Both the cases above may be ocurring to some degree.
A segment looks like it may also be caused by proxies.  Browser
caching may also be causing some of it, and there may be other
causes as well.  Setting $r->no_cache(1) did not solve the problem,
though there is a chance it may have alleviated it somewhat..

Since there is a session id generated for browsers that have
cookies enabled, I'm planning to stow away the parameters
in either the database or File::Cache on the first GET
request when parameters are available, then fall back to
looking there on subsequent requests if and only if the
parameters are missing (not in query string and not in POST
data).  This should fix most of the currently
failing cases without much more code.

Thank you all for your help.

--
Matthew Pressly