As I was leaving Vegas I saw that billboard saying:

Adidas
uses
SAP

And I suppose that they run a bunch of similar ads using other big companies names. I think this is an interesting approach of advertising, where instead of advertising the merits of your product or going down on your competitors, you use a concrete example of a well known company that uses your software.

So I thought to myself that in addition to our collection of:
http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/sites.html
http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/success_stories/index.html
it'd be interesting to add some small ads similar to the ones used by SAP, though on the left menu bar at perl.apache.org, rather than billboards. e.g.

"TicketMaster uses mod_perl"
"InternetMovieDatabase uses mod_perl"
"Slashdot uses mod_perl"
etc.

Of course if folks are willing to put them on their sites, that would be great too. But my point here is that when an IT person comes to perl.apache.org but who is still not convinced that mod_perl is something that he wants, this kind of local ads can help to make the right decision :)

I guess a simple ImageMagic/GD script that glues the name on the prepared base and doing some color alternation will do the work of making several such ads without manual labour. And then we can randomly spread these at the perl.apache.org pages. Of course it'd be cool to use SVG, but unfortunately we are a long way before major browsers will support it and having users having these newer browsers :(