Marcin Kasperski wrote:
Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Marcin Kasperski wrote:

Recently I happened to get the error log flooded with the message
       callback called exit
(repeated a couple of million times, probably by one process or a few
processes).
This was some side-effect of the lack of memory
(...)

Hope that the following somewhat helps:
http://perl.apache.org/search/swish.cgi?query=callback+called+exit&sbm=SecD&submit=search

Thank you for the pointer.

Am I right deducing, that I should attempt recompiling perl with
-DEMERGENCY_SBRK?
Try to, but this doesn't solve the original problem. You still have to try to narrow down the code that causes the problem. Using ab or a similar load tester might help to stress test.

Using tools to prevent situations when the server runs out of memory is very important. See the online docs for more info. Using these tools should probably solve the problem altogether, without using any special compilation options.

The perl I use describes itself as below so probably this option is
not turned on:
Hmm, it's been a long time since we've last revisited this issue. The doc says that PERL_EMERGENCY_SBRK it's supposed to be on, but a quick test on several of my builds shows that it's not true:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use Inline C;

print "PERL_EMERGENCY_SBRK is @{[ mytest() ? '' : 'not']} defined\n";

__END__
__C__
int mytest() {
#ifdef PERL_EMERGENCY_SBRK
return 1;
#else
return 0;
#endif
}

~/perl/5.8.0-ithread/bin/perl test.pl
PERL_EMERGENCY_SBRK is not defined

of course there is the source code, but Inline is nice :)