Per Einar Ellefsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi James,
>
>At 02:32 02.12.2002, James G Smith wrote:
>>( Actually, the name is chosen to `rhyme' with Apache::DBI.  There
>>are no dependencies on Apache or mod_perl. )
>
>If there is no link with Apache::DBI, I suggest that you choose a more
>appropriate namespace, like Persistent::LDAP

Unfortunately, that's already taken.  The module on CPAN implements
persistent objects with an LDAP backend (if I read the docs right).

The problem is that it's generic enough to be made available without
requiring a lot of misc. stuff (i.e., part of a larger package), but
there's not a good place for it.  At least, I'm not thinking of
anything.

It's also, imho, most useful in an Apache-like environment.

I'll keep thinking about it.

<rant>
  (to noone in particular)

  I've found this list to be far more helpful than the modules@perl
  list.  I've submitted a fair number of modules to that list with
  little to no response.  While I am thankful for those that have
  responded, it's never been enough to feel that there was closure.

  Keep in mind, this is my experience with several modules spread
  across three-five years (not sure when I first posted to the
  list).  Other people have had different experiences.

  While I am willing to try it again, my experience makes me shy away
  from it like a child from a hot frying pan.

  This rant is in no way meant to start flames.  Please do not.  I
  will not respond -- I am just trying to express a small part of my
  frustration that causes me to post RFCs to the mod_perl list
  instead of the modules list, even if they are on the edge (or
  beyond) of mod_perl OT-ness.
</rant>
--
James Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 979-862-3725
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix