It ended up being the bad character tacked returned by
my . It sometimes looks like 'nyc.rr.com\000' or the
like. Bad DHCP setup on my part.

Here's the a couple lines out of the offending sed.

-e s%@conf_serveradmin@[EMAIL PROTECTED]%d00%g
-e s%@conf_servername@%float1.nyc.rr.com%d00%g

Thanks for that #!/bin/sh -x trick, Stas!

I have to rebuild my perl and go through the Configure
process to tell it to ignore `hostname`, unless you
know a trick for that, too!

-ciao for now,
Josh